"How It is Made" on TV hatchery.... hatching eggs

Montanna

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
I like to watch "How it is Made" on TV. tonight they had a segment on hatchery hatching eggs, sorting and etc. They sure are not very careful about handling the eggs at day 18 and half, nor the new chickens.

You should have seen the belt they went down and how they seperated the shell from the eggs. Then they "sexed" them, by looking at the wings. Equal down feathers on the wings is suppose to be a rooster. He is then picked off the belt and put down a chute that deposits him on another belt.

They are not tenderly handled that is for sure. They dump them out by the box full onto the belt. It made me half mad how they were treating these newly hatched chicks. I have been reading the board about how tender all you people handle the eggs and the newly hatched chicks.

Did anyone see this segment? What are your thoughts? Maybe I am too tender hearted, my mom use to call me "chicken-liver" Guess that is why I grew up to love chickens so much. Makes me think twice about ordering from a hatchery. I want to hatch some babies in an incubator. I promised ChickenBreath that I would wait until spring......... after reading the board, I dont' know if I can wait or not. My incubator will be here the first part of December............ Now to hunt down some eggs!
yippiechickie.gif

When we first got chickens, ChickenBreath was just mildly interested, but he is having as much fun as I am with our flock of 4. We bought them at L'Anse Farmers Market in August. We were there, suppose to be selling, not buying!
wink.png

I seen the chickens, but I didn't say to much about them. First thing I know, ChickenBreath is over talking to the guy selling the chickens. We did not have a chicken house, coupe, we did not have anything to make a run, but we came home with one rooster... Rusty and two hens, Henny and Penny. The next week we came home with Sonja, Henny and Penny were laying and still are, Sonja started laying earlier this month. We have nice chicken house for them and they free range a lot of the time.

Here is Rusty and Sonja, they found the sunflower seeds that we put out for the birds!
sonjarusty32dgrees.jpg

Okay I didn't mean to write a book, but just wanted to see if anyone had seen the TV program.
Thanks for reading.

Skeeter

Oh sure - blame ChickenBreath for your new "Hobby". I think he was just doing you a favor, you know, like buying someone a cute little puppy. Well, the vendor didn't have puppys, just chickens, so ... enjoy.
roll.png

I SAW THAT EPISODE TOO AWHILE BACK AND COULD'NT BELIEVE IT . I STILL CRINGE AND I AM NO WHERE NEAR BEING A TREE HUGGER . I GUESS THAT'S WHY YOU CAN EXPECT A 10 -20 % CHANCE OF CHICKS DYING WHEN YOU BUY THEM FROM THE STORE . ON A SIDE NOTE I WAS WONDERING ABOUT YOUR USER NAME " MONTANA" . HAVE YOU EVER BEEN HERE , OR DO YOU JUST LIKE THE NAME/STATE ?
frow.gif

Thank you Chickenworld. I looked and looked, but didn't know where to post about the TV show. I didn't realize that it has been showed before. Anyway, I came away with a very sad feeling. I will check out the other thread.

ChickenBreath! thanks for your cute post too, now you want to buy me some eggs to hatch as soon as I get my incubator??? :aww

Skeeter, (also known as Montanna)

Yes, unionwirewoman, I am from Montana, my real name is Skeeter, but I couldn't use it as there was someone else with that name registered. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan now. I love Montana and miss it every day. I like the U.P. too, just different than Montana. I have a son in Billings Montana.

I use to use Montanna in the chat rooms that I use to hang out in. Back when I was leary about using my real name. Thanks for asking.

Montanna

unionwirewoman did you get an answer to the private message you sent me? I don't know if I did it right, and it didn't show up in my sent folder.
sad.png
I am not use to the private messages and hope I did it right.

Thanks,

Montanna
(47HarleyGal on Ebay)
Skeeter in real life!

I didn't see that episode, but I did see a show on hatchery chicks, and I was shocked at how they get them into the big growing sheds--they blow them in with a big blower hose! Chicks were sailing through the air like they were shot out of a cannon! I couldn't believe my eyes!

I guess our chicks are tougher than we think, but I could never handle a chick with anything but the gentlest touch!

Back
Top Bottom