How it started...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mac14, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    How my dream of having chickens started...

last year my friend went to a local farm and brought home 2 eggs, she said one of them was for me, how sweet! Well, we dreamed of what the chickens would be like and so on, thing was that we never had a clue about chickens. So 21 days later, nothing. We were so sad. Oh well, you would think I would just move on, right? WRONG! I felt that I was so close to having one that I couldn't just let it slip away. So it started, I spent all my time on the Internet finding out everything I could. I found out you can't hatch out chickens just by will power. Found good breeds, found how to take care of chickens, and found a good hatchery. Then I found out that the hatchery had a minimum order of 25 chicks, sorry no way. Couple days later found out our local feed store was having chick days! I was with my friend when she got 12 of them, 3 Barred rocks, 3 silver laced wyandottes, 3 buff orpingtons and 3 Americaunas or EEs. SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! We named all of them in a day. But I came up with the name for her favorite chicken. A week later I got 6 little fluffballs! I was overjoyed! Okay, I started on the plans for the coop. Ended up that it turned out different, but hay, can't complain when you are smiling. The next week we went and got 2 more, they were tiny!

"Hey Mac I'm going to name this one Ava."

"What? that is a interesting name."

"Well I like it, so there!"

"okay, whatever."

A few weeks later we moved the chicks into the coop! Then a week later we left for 2 days, we come back, the chickens got out and our dog got one of them. I was devastated. The one that our dog got happened to be my 2nd favorite one. Thanks a lot, dog!

To be continued...

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    ...We buried her in the pen, so she would still be close. Here is where she is,

[​IMG]

Each of the rocks represents one of my chickens, the biggest one on the left is me :) (I basically am a chicken) and the one in the middle is her.
    My dog has learned that if she touches a chicken she will die, not literally. But here is my dog, Jasmine.

[​IMG]

One of the chickens has learned to dislike her. Every time Jasmine gets close, the chicken will turn around a peck her nose really hard.
    To be continued...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by