How Large Should Hospital Room Be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PulletNewbie, Nov 4, 2014.

1. PulletNewbie

PulletNewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    One of my sweet Red Stars suffered a dog attack (dog followed young girl making a fundraiser delivery -- not one from the neighborhood). She was badly ripped from shoulder to shoulder, required numerous stitches and lost a large patch of feathers on her back. Vet said 10 days separated from flock. But at the end of that time frame, she will still be missing a 3-inch square patch of feathers on her back with forecasted temps to be falling to upper 20s.

Her "hospital room" is a 3-foot x 2-foot x 2-foot high animal cage from a local pet store. Four days after stitching and starting on antibiotic injections, she is feeling better and spends quite a bit of time standing. Still limps, hasn't started scratching in the pine shavings nor, of course, has she laid an egg. I know she's still very sore.

My questions: With an unheated coop (it's a really big one with lots of room for more chickens) and a freshly-healed wound, I don't want to return her to the coop until feathers are coming back. If I keep her in our heated garage for a few more weeks, should I make a bigger enclosure to allow her room to move around?

Any suggestions on how and when to make the transition back to the coop and her sisters?

Thanks Chicken Lovers!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Keeping her in the heated garage and in the cage that she is currently in will suffice just fine. Limiting her movement will help her heal quicker.
    Ensure she has feed and fresh water/clean environment will help with recovery. Probiotics will help her immune system and build strength.

3. PulletNewbie

PulletNewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    Thanks Dawg! Knew I could count on you for some "all will be well, just breathe!" advice.
    Now to find probiotics for chickens...

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're welcome. Buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg in her feed to make a mash for about a week is a very good probiotic boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by