How large should the pop door be for silkies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 14, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm getting some silkie chicks and thinking about their housing. They'll be staying the night in a shed that has a large door I'll open and close throughout the day (I also store feed and hay in there), but I want them to be able to get in and out even when the big door is shut, except at night when it will be closed up completely. This is what a pop door is for, right?

I'm planning to just cut it out of the larger door and fasten it with hinges and a lock mechanism. But how large should it be for silkies? What if I ever want larger chickens? Thanks!

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Good luck with your Silkies first of all. We have several and are expecting Polish chicks any minute. As a small breed, you could get by with a fairly small opening, however if ya plan for others down the road (and I would) you can't go wrong with a door 12"-14" wide and 16" high. An opening that size will accomodate everyone. We have a mixed flock from Seabrights(tiny) to RIR's, Silver Laced Wyandotte's, etc..(large, fat 'ol girls) and our door works for them all.
    Erik

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool, thank you! I'll make it in that range then. I don't have PLANS per se to add more chickens, but I know from experience how addictive livestock is. I currently have seven coturnix quail, 10 ducks (4 runners, 4 magpies, 2 scovies), and two goats, plus the chickens on their way... so I'll go with the larger size. Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by