How late in the morning do your ducks lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tivona, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Just wondering how late everyone else's ducks lay in the morning. The reason I am wondering is I just found a clutch of 4 eggs in my garden where the ducks free range all day. It definitely explains the low egg count for the last 2 weeks. I usually let them out a little after 7:45 each morning but I guess I'll be delaying that closer to 9am at least for awhile to get her used to laying back in the nest box or at least in the pen. Better then having the eggs gotten by predators.

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Mine don't lay much later than 9am.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Most of mine are done by around 9 am- but I do occasionally have one laid in the afternoon or evening. The later layers are usually the girls who are laying for the first time - or older girls coming back into lay after a molt.

4. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    hmm
    Quote:I have two of my layers molting and that is why I thought they weren't laying the last couple of weeks. But I recognize the eggs in the garden as definitely coming from one of my girls who is molting. She has a really neat swirl pattern on every egg she lays. I am thinking what you said about yours laying late after a molt could be similar to what I have going on. My ducks seem to lay straight though a molt just missing an egg every few days. I just thought they were missing more days. I guess I'll have to check daily and make the spot where she has the eggs in the garden a bit more camouflaged to protect the eggs from crows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by