How late in the year do you incubate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Glenmar, May 13, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I am new to incubation. I just set my second batch of eggs. I am reading that some people are done for the year.
    So my question is how late do most of you incubate. How many hatches, etc...
    I sold my first batch of chicks at a poultry swap and bought a second batch of eggs from someone else at the swap.
    So I was just wondering.......
    thanks

2. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Mine runs year around....

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Mine too!

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    It's going to depend on climate to some extent, as well as your facilities. Here in Michigan, year round isn't an option, at least not for me in a small house with unheated outbuildings (garage and shed). I can't have stinky poultry inside during the winter. So, my incubation and hatching season is roughly mid-April to about two weeks before Labor Day at the latest for setting (depending on species, of course). That way, nothing is being brooded in a cold building or too young to face an oncoming winter.

Now, if you were in a place with a much milder climate, such as CA, FL, TX, I could see doing it all year round if need be.

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Quote:This is exactly what I was thinking.
    Also, Is there a market for young chickens year round? Or are most folks incubating for themselves?

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have hatches every weekend year round! [​IMG]

7. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I'm turning mine off by the end of June. Turn back on probably in Jan. Unless I see something I really Really Want [​IMG]

8. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Year round, I swear i wont do it again next year but I always do. I worry bout losing power in the winter as one year we were out for 12 days straight. Having stinky chicks in the house is a bad thing according to the better half. Havent had to do that yet though.... I run two heat lamps in the brooder during the winter so if one goes out I got a backup plus some nites it so cold I need two to heat up enough of the brooder they dont smother each other.

9. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Ditto... Year round for me also!!

10. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    What do you all do with all those chicks? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by