How late is too late to hatch in NYC?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PhoebeD, Sep 18, 2012.

1. PhoebeD

PhoebeD New Egg

Jul 17, 2012
    We knew we were pushing it with an October hatch, but today our incubator died. So we need to start over with a new incubator. I'm worried that we will not hatch mid-October and need to put the babies out mid-late November. Is this a terrible idea?

It would be simple to say we should start again in the spring. Except that we are doing this with a school and were really hoping to get a few eggs at the end of the school year so the kids will understand the egg-egg process.

Help!?!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I hatch all year long. As long as you provide them an environment that is draft free and warm, they should be fine.

What are your options for brooding them? If not in the house, can you put them in an attached garage with a heat lamp?

Oh and welcome to BYC! :frow

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. PhoebeD

PhoebeD New Egg

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. We can keep them in the house and then the basement and finally in a coop with a lamp (provided the squirrels don't chew the electrical cord).

I'm sure this is the first of many frantic posts. So glad BYC exists!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I keep them in a barn that gets pretty cold at night. As long as they can get under a heat lamp - they are fine. Both of us (you and I) have about the same winter temperatures. They are calling for a mild winter this year. Apparently the nice weather is going to last until mid November.

Hope it's like last year. February was really the only bad month!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by