How long after bitty's hatch will the mom start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NC29mom, Jul 5, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I have three chickens with bitty's right now. Just wondering, how long after the chicks hatch, do the moms start laying eggs again? I have one chicken with 1 month old chick, 1 chicken with 2-3 week chick and a chicken with eggs that just starting hatching today. Also have 4 adorable bitty's in the house. Unfortunately the second chicken left her nest after the first chick hatched, so we did the incubator thing.

All knowledge appreciated....

2. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I had two momma hens this spring. One raised her two until they were 6 weeks old - then she said "adios" - and layed an egg within a day or two. The second momma hen adopted the two from the first, and took care of her two (total 4) for 2 more weeks, then she said goodbye and layed an egg almost hours later. Both of them "squatted" when I walked by them a day or two before they abandoned/layed an egg.

Also, my other hens slowed way down in their laying when the babies were little - maybe just my experience, but I got very few eggs from my 6 girls during that time. Now everyone is up and running again! Thank goodness!

Enjoy the babies!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    They vary a bit, with an average of about 4 weeks

Mom will start losing interest and then, one day, just lay an egg and that is it.

Varies with the breed, too. Two Brahma hens of mine hatched clutches and laid their first eggs within a few hours of each other,

sandie

4. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    I think around 5 weeks.. [​IMG]

5. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I have the mom and her bitty each in their own pens, does that matter?

6. ms4barrell

ms4barrell New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    The Mother Chicken with chicks will start to lay eggs once the chicks are 8-10 weeks Old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by