How long after broody will a pullet start laying again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by write2caroline, May 22, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My broody is with her little brood now about 2 weeks. I see her comb is peachy and not red - about when will she start to lay eggs again? - just curious.
    Caroline

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Mine always take a really long time to start up again. I seem to recall waiting three months or so. [​IMG]

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    EEEEEEEEK
    Okay.
    I will be patient - my other girls are trying to go broody too So I will have to think about it!
    Caroline

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of ours start back in when the chicks are about 6 weeks old. But we have a young broody right now that her chicks are only 3 weeks old and she has started laying again almost every day so we pulled her out of the pen and have her chicks in their own pen.

5. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

In mine it varies a lot. Last year three or four months sometimes...
    This year I've had two who started up again fast...six weeks or less.

The last one when the chicks were only a little over a month old...and I'd check the dog crate inside the coop in the evenings where they were hatched, and she brooded them ...they free range during the day and I was counting heads. I'd move the chicks and kept discovering an egg in there with them. I thought another hen was laying them but it turns out...they were hers.

6. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    My hen laid her first egg since the babies were born today, the chicks will be 6 weeks old this Thursday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by