1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long after chicks before start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by racoxy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. racoxy

racoxy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    How long after a hen's chicks are "weaned" from mamma before she will start laying eggs again?
    Had my first broody hen hatch one chick about 8 weeks ago. I just put mamma back with the rest of the flock. So how long does it normally take before they start laying again?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In my quite limited experience: about a week. They are such individuals, though. Mine never lasted 8 weeks mothering the chicks, usually 5 or 6.

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I think it varies a little. One of my Momma's pushes her chicks away at about 3-4 weeks, and resumed laying about a week later. The other Momma I had kept her chick with her an incredible 10 weeks, and resumed laying about 2 weeks later.

4. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    i would love to know that one !
    mine is a two year old BO has 3 babies now about 4/5 weeks old and they are living normally with the mums sister ( i only have a small flock !)

both adultshave stopped laying for almost 8 weeks in total and nowone is moulting [​IMG] i dont think im going to ever see another egg this year [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've only had 3 broodies raise chicks and it's usually about 6 weeks without laying total.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Every and I do mean every broody is different.

I have some who will start laying 3 weeks to the day after their chicks hatch - some of these continue to mother the chicks, while others push the chicks away (much too soon I think).

I have other broodies who will start laying after 6 to 8 weeks from the time their chicks hatch. Again, some will push chicks away and some continue to mother.

Then some.........well they just seem to decide as they go along [​IMG] My one broody Sylvia - her first clutch she went back to laying when her chicks were 10 weeks old - but she continued to mother her daughters for a full year - even snuggling with them at night, and laying eggs in the nestboxes together, and the son she chased from her side. This last clutch, she went back to laying when her chicks were 9 weeks old and kicked the girls out of the "family" yet kept mothering the son until I recently moved him into a different coop (he was just over 12 weeks old).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by