how long after chicks hatch does a hen usually start to lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leeboyz337, Aug 16, 2011.

1. leeboyz337

leeboyz337 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    i have a year old buff orpington setting that was broody and is setting on 5 eggs that i know are fertile and should hatch. i checked them by candling. how long after they hatch should she start to lay eggs again?
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    When she gets sick of being a momma USUALLY around 4-6 weeks [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch!

3. Namres

Namres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    How long would it take if one takes the chicks away once they have hatched for a hen to lay again?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Why would you do that to her? She's worked so hard to have those babies [​IMG] Not a good idea IMO...It still takes a long time for her to lay an egg-It might shorten her return time by a week or so-there's no point making her sad ( and she will be very sad trust me) by taking away her babies just to get and extra 4-7 eggs...

5. Namres

Aug 15, 2011
    The last time I let mommy have her chicks, I lost 12 out of 16 to predators. Currently the setup does not leave me another option to deal with the chicks.

We currently have around 60 happy chicks in their predator safe enclosure.

Personally I would love to have them grow up with mommy, it does not only look sweet, but it also makes work easier. Mostly however we do not leave the hens breed, but use the incubator.

6. leeboyz337

leeboyz337 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:what i did was i built a separate mommy hatching and raising coop not to big but big enough for her and the babies. but safe from predators.

7. Namres

Aug 15, 2011
    what i did was i built a separate mommy hatching and raising coop not to big but big enough for her and the babies. but safe from predators.

Thats what we are busy with now!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by