how long after hatch to brooder.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I am sorry for posting so many questions.

I have read 12 and 24 hours. I have also read when they are dry which takes a couple hours.

The issue is it has been about 4 and they are still fairly wet. Is it possibly too humid? Any help will be great!

2. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Also, I have one dead one. Not sure why, but I think it may be from the chicken wire being to big.

Can anyone help.

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I'm running ~80% humidity during lockdown, and it will rise even more while they're hatching. They will be OK in there for 24 hours. By then, they should be all fluffed out........even in the soggy heat. Experiencing it as I type...... (Bobs, that is).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:If you do not have any zipping, you can take the 4 out and put them in the brooder to dry off. If some are zipping, they need to hatch before you open the incubator. They can stay in the incubator for at least 48 hours though if you have lots of others hatching. They don't need food until after that. I do sometimes put a little tupperware lid of water in for them and some food in another small container if I still have eggs left and it's been 48 hours.

5. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:If you do not have any zipping, you can take the 4 out and put them in the brooder to dry off. If some are zipping, they need to hatch before you open the incubator. They can stay in the incubator for at least 48 hours though if you have lots of others hatching. They don't need food until after that. I do sometimes put a little tupperware lid of water in for them and some food in another small container if I still have eggs left and it's been 48 hours.

Im sorry, I meant to say 4 hours. not 4 chicks. All of them are still wet. My mom is freaking out. (Yes I am 33, but she lives with me.) I told her to leave them be. She is worried that the gap in the chicken wire is to big.

6. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    I also do not see anymore zipping.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:If none are zipping, go right ahead and open 'er up!

8. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Should I close it after, and see if any other eggs can hatch?

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Remove Them As Soon As Dry And Fluffy... Maybe 1 Hr, Maybe 4hrs?? Now Dont Go Flingin The Lid Off The Bator And Gawking At The Cute Lil Fuzzballz For 25 Minutes... Just Crack It Open Enough To Sneak A Hand In There, Snatch The Ones Ready To Go And Close It Up Right Away... Dont Worry About Zippers Or Others, They Will Continue Their Task At Hand.

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:If I were worried about chicks surviving the chicken wire in the incubator, and they had been in there for 4 hrs with no others zipping. I would snatch the fuzzy buts out and get them in the brooder and out of harms way. I have a tendency to grab'em out and get them to the brooder every couple hrs or so as a rule. Most the time there not completely dry and fluffy, but I dont loose chicks as a rule. Just the way I do it. I have hatched less than 400 birds so I am still wet behind the ears compared to Randall and others... Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by