1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long after hatching to laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChooksinIowa, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    Hi All,

I'm a chicken newbie so forgive me if this is asked all the time but I didn't find it in the FAQs. I got 2 hens plus their chicks from a friend's farm a couple of weeks ago. The chicks are separated from the moms and are in my house in a rabbit cage (big one). The moms are outside with my one other pullet in an Eglu (www.omlet.us).

I am getting about 1 egg every 2 to 3 days. I think they are all coming from the pullet. Can anyone tell me roughly how long after having hatched the other eggs that it takes for the hens to lay again? I think the babies are between 3 and 6 weeks old. They came from a fairly unstructured farm situation so nobody really knows their age.

Thanks for any help,
    Claire

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Usually around 6 to 8 weeks, when mom chases the babys away from the nesting area.

bigzio

3. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    OK, thank you! So the babies were removed from the mothers at about 2 weeks of age and I am keeping them indoors, separated from the mother. So does that mean she would still take 6 to 8 weeks or would it be sooner? (because the babies are not with her).
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by