1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long after hatching until bobwhites are ready to process?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by igotchickens, Mar 25, 2011.

1. igotchickens

igotchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    the title basically says it all.

Also coturnix... and any other sort of quail for meat. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Depends On The Strains Really

Coturnix Between 8 And 12 Wks
    Bobs Between 28 And 40 Weeks Give Or Take

3. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    are there any other types of quail raised for meat? What about valley quail?

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Not really,there either to hard to raise or are not that efficient.I would start with coturnix and work your way up to bobwhites.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THERE'S LIKELY FOLKS WHO HAVE, BUT VALLEYS ARE A TAD MORE DIFFICULT TO GET AHOLD OF, SMALLER AND USUALLY QUITE A BIT MORE PRICEY SO NO THEY ARE NOT COMMONLY USED AS MEAT BIRDS. THE 2 MOST COMMON PRODUCTION MODELS ARE SPEED= COTURNIX, AND TASTE= BOB WHITES, MOST OTHER SPECES ARE STILL ORNIMENTAL OR SPECIALTY USES DUE TO MANY FACTORS SUCH AS INVESTMENT, SIZE, RARITY, OR EVEN DIFFICULTY OF RAISING OR KEEPING

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:If you are looking strictly for meat birds, then you you should look into "jumbo" varieties." I raise Butler Bobwhites. The eggs are only slightly larger, but they don't eat much more than a regular Bob and are well over a pound. They were developed as meat birds. There are also jumbo varieties of Coturnix quail too.

7. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    thanks everyone for your responses!! We're going to go with another batch of coturnix [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by