how long after intro light till eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by busby965, Nov 22, 2013.

1. busby965

busby965 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I just put a light in with my girls (and guys) their black marans cocks and hens, and barred rock, rhode island, and buff orp hens they are all 22-26 weeks old and not laying yet but i feel they are old enough to put a light on i put the white light on 15 hours a day and a red 20w on all the time. just wanted to know how long it took some of yall to get a few eggs. thanks, by the way i live in alabama so not bitterly cold and they have a nicely insulated house. thanks again

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Light is the key. Temperature would have little impact with those breeds. With those breeds at that age and with 15 hours, you'll probably get the first egg in a week and most if not all will be laying in 2 weeks.
    Let me know how close I called it.
    Until they lay, I'd be giving them a grower feed. Switch to layer when most are laying. In the meantime, a little oyster shell in a separate container will take care of those the start laying.

3. busby965

busby965 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks for quick reply I'm feeding 27% gamebird mixed with 22% layer they have free choice oyster shell and grit ill let you know as soon as i get an egg. thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by