How long after intro of new roo will I have fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkchick, Dec 21, 2008.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Got new BR Roo last week and love him. He is about 7-8 mos old and very good at protecting the girlz, I was wondering when I will have fertile eggs?
    Also, how come he doesn't mate with the hens not of his breed? Will he?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If he is mating the hens of his breed i'm pretty sure he's mating them all, you might just not be seeing him do it !! Are they standard size hens ? How many hens do you have ?

Your eggs should be fertile within a day or 2, doesnt take long !! If you crack them open you can tell. Here is the link on how to tell if your eggs are fertile.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

3. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    17 hens which 7 of them are over 2 years old and 2 are banty's.

I just went and broke open one of the BR's eggs from this morning and it has the definate bullseye like in the pictures ...........

This is fantastic! Thanks so much..next project is building my BATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hatch some.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    you say NEW barred rock roo, is this replacing one? If so the one you replaced can remain active in the hens systems for up to 2 weeks, so if you dont want that one being the roo you should wait 2 weeks to ensure the new roo is the ACTIVE roo. Was that masked enough so as not to be too graphic??

5. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    NEW Barred Roo is a replacement after the death of my Mr. Foghorn about a month ago.

Hey, will my 4 year old Jersey Giant also lay fertile eggs or is she too old? She is still laying about 1 a week as far as I can tell. They are the biggest eggs I've seen!

Thanks

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Anyone that the new roo has a conversation [​IMG] with will soon be laying fertile eggs.

7. Did you give him a bottle of collogne ? Old spice works great for the ladies.

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I was just going to ask the same question..

Now I have to build a bator.. [​IMG]

get some hatching eggs ..

then the roo has to go... not even supposed to have the ladies..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by