How long after movement is seen will pipping begin?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickRaiserRN, Nov 16, 2013.

1. ChickRaiserRN

ChickRaiserRN Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Southwest TN
    We first saw movement coming from one egg last night around 11pm (eggs are set to hatch this evening), and I saw one big "jump" from it today. I don't see any pipping, nor do I hear any chirps. This is our first hatch, and I know next to nothing about hatching chicks (hubby used to do it when he was little). I also saw on here that you are suppose to turn your eggs an uneven number of times a day... hubby turned them twice a day (he said that's what his grandma did). What could happen b/c of this? Thanks for the help :)

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hatching is pretty nerve-racking, isn't it? [​IMG]

They can pip anytime once they're ready to hatch. The big thing to remember is that it can still be HOURS after pipping until they hatch.

I think they'll be fine with being turned twice a day instead of three.

Keep us posted!

3. ChickRaiserRN

Nov 16, 2013
    Southwest TN
    It is!!! I didn't even want chickens.. but hubby snuck in 20 eggs & had been incubating them in the garage for a few days before I found out. Now, the little things have grown on me! I can't wait. I really do feel like an expectant mom all over again! I keep going over there to check on them. And, I even woke up in the middle of the night (like a kid on Christmas morning), and ran in there to see if we had any hatch. The waiting is killing me!!! hahaha :) Thanks for the reply!

4. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    LOL I'm the same way.... You're going to be really tired in a few days if you're already losing sleep! Wait until they start hatching. It's an amazing thing to see, though. You'll love it - and will most likely love the chickens as they grow, too!

5. ChickRaiserRN

Nov 16, 2013
    Southwest TN
    Still only seeing movement, nothing else. I have a feeling I'm not gonna get much sleep tonight! Haha!

6. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Anything this morning??

7. ChickRaiserRN

Nov 16, 2013
    Southwest TN
    Nothing that I can see :-( but I thought I heard some chirping!

8. ChickRaiserRN

Nov 16, 2013
    Southwest TN
    Still not seeing any pipping, but we heard chirping again!!

9. ChickRaiserRN

Nov 16, 2013
    Southwest TN
    Yay! Just went and checked on the chicks & we have 2 pipping that I can see!!!

10. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by