1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long after pipping until they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gibbychicks, Apr 27, 2008.

1. gibbychicks

gibbychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I know this info is somewhere here, but I don't have time to find it. Our eggs were peeping this morning and now there are, cracked areas (no holes, just cracked and raised shell)[​IMG]

Here's the problem, after three weeks of carefully watching and taking care of our broody hen in our back porch, we finally have something happening.
    and.....the kids have soccer try-outs this afternoon!:eek:

We are hoping we don't miss the big event!! we only have two eggs out of eight left, so we don't have a lot of chances to see it happen. [​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take under a broody hen once thay start to pip??

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    anywhere from 2 minutes to a couple of hours.
    Relax, go to your soccer try outs and when you get home you can meet the new babies.

edited cause I reread your post, sorry I dont mean to downplay the excitemetn of the hatch. especially since you only have 2 eggs left but, some things you just cant rush.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. gibbychicks

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure who's more excited my three kids or myself!!
    We decided to go to soccer and what ever happens, happens, but I sure will be bummed if I miss it!

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    My wife went out and got a wireless security camera (~$100 at radio shack) to put in the coop so she wouldnt miss a thing.
    We can play it on the big screen as picture in picture (PIP) or whole screen for Chick-O-vision. Also hooks to a vcr so we can play back to figure out who laid what egg.

5. gibbychicks

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well, we went to soccer (left a little early) and......WE HAVE A CHICK!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Still waiting on the other egg. Looks like we're in for a long fun night.

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    ongrats!![​IMG]

7. gibbychicks

Jul 6, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The other egg hatched! yeah!!! [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com