How long after the duckling hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sylviaanne, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Will the mama start to lay eggs again? Thanks.

2. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Anyone know?

3. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Depends on the duck and the breed.
    Chickens are easier to work with as they'll generally start laying 5 to 6 weeks later in my experience.
    Ducks are harder to read - depends how prolific a layer the bird/breed is and how quickly they decide the ducklings are on their own. Many ducks stop caring for their young quicker than chickens so there is a chance they will lay not long after hatching out their brood.

This is all dependant on the birds condition too, if they are under weight and slightly malnourished from sitting then it will take longer.

4. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    She's an Indian Runner and she does look thinner than before she was sitting. So, it could be about 4-6 weeks after the babies hatch before she starts laying again?

5. smonkeySK

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    I've never kept runners but I wouldn't expect eggs sooner than the 4 week mark.
    I'm lucky that after getting the birds I went off eating so many eggs so I always have surplus!

6. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I love eggs but I'm not a big egg eater, my husband is but we were getting too many to keep up with. LOL Now, I guess the heat is getting to them as they are not laying very well.

Next year we will have surplus and that is what I am looking forward to. I want to try selling eggs and if that doesn't work out, I guess the eggs will be going to the food bank. LOL

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. smonkeySK

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Friends family and neighbours (they have to put up with my call ducks cackling!) get most of ours; I love eggs but only eat them in fits and starts..
    My missus used to eat loads of eggs but now she feels like she's eating their babies she just can't do it!

Just as well we love them as pets really :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by