1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long after the eggs start wiggling will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, Apr 19, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Our chicken eggs are wiggling! How much longer will we wait? This is so exciting!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hopefully within the next 24 hours. Keep an eye on them, some can pip and zip quick!

3. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    They are wiggling a little early then:) I thought we would see them hatching Tuesday:)

4. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Should they wiggle consistently?

5. govega

govega Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    You will also hear them peeping too. Remember eggs are expected to hatch on the 21st day but depending on conditions they may hatch later or earlier!

6. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Thank you:)

They aren't wiggling as much right now as they were last night & our other chicks that are in the house are so loud now that they are awake I don't know if they are cheeping anymore. I guess I will have to be patient:)

I am amazed at the pecking sound... I didn't think I would be able to hear that.

7. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I haven't seen them moving around that much today. Are they more active at night? I haven't seen any crack in the shell yet, just seen movement and heard some cheeping (I think it was them and not the chicks I also have) 21 days starts at 10 PM tonight. Were they just sort of getting ready last night? I will be sad if at least some of them don't make it. Thanks for the newbie help:)

8. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    My husband and I are new to incubation and last night we noticed quite a bit of wiggling on 4 of our 5 remaining eggs. We have had 2 power outages [​IMG] during this incubation and lost some of our eggs because we didn't have a back-up power supply. We are hopeing for these to hatch but hope is runnin low. We made our incubater from one of my husbands old ice chests and have pretty much used this forum and web site as a sort of "how-to" guide. Today is day 20 for our eggs.... [​IMG] Hope to be able to post about [​IMG] hatchin chickies [​IMG] in a day or 2.... or 3...... lol

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Be aware that not all eggs hatch on day 21. Sometimes they might be early and sometimes later. Don't panic. They might not hatch for another day or so. Leave the chicks in the incu for the three days before they need food if all of them have not hatched and others are working on getting out.

I wish you well,

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by