1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long after the rooster does the deed does egg become fertile

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hensplease, Dec 10, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    anyone no? sorry if this doesent belong here

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    How long does it take to become fertile from the initial breeding, or how long do they stay fertile?
    A few days after and they will be fertile, they can stay fertile from that breeding for several weeks in many occasions

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I had one I was checking on a daily basis, and her's was fertile on the 3rd day.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That sounds about average for mine too

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It takes an egg about 25 hours from when it starts in the hen's internal chicken factory until it is laid. It can be fertilized in the first 15 minutes of this 25 hour process. After that, it is too far along in the process to be fertilized.

Let's say a rooster mates with a hen about noon on Monday. Monday's egg will obviously not be fertile. If Tuesday's egg started on its journey inside the hen before noon on Monday, it will not be fertile. If it starts this journey in the afternoon, it could possibly be fertile. Wednesday's egg should be fertile.

Hope this makes sense.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    nice explanation

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've also seen it take longer... up to a week with one hen, but she was only laying about two a week then.

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    So that sort of makes sense if the egg was not yet under construction it could take a week for the fertile egg to arrive.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The time period starts after the rooster and hen have successfully mated. Just because they are together does not mean a rooster mates every hen in the flock the first day they meet. Certain breeds have such thick feathers that the rooster has difficulty completing his task, Cochin and Orpington are the two I hear mentioned most often in this regard. You can do a search on "vent trimming" for further info. Diet and age can effect a rooster's fertility. Some roosters have poor fertility due to genetics. Some hens and especially young pullets resist the rooster's advances, even if they are laying eggs. And some roosters are so clumsy, especially young ones, that they have difficulty hitting the target.

Just because they are together or because you see them in the act is not confirmation the hen will lay fertile eggs, no matter how energetic the rooster appears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by