How long after they ship?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DomesticDiva12, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DomesticDiva12

DomesticDiva12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    So I got notification today that my chicks have shipped! They are coming from Meyer in Ohio and I live in Wisconsin. Is there a different procedure the post office uses when dealing with live chicks? Should I expect to pick them up tomorrow or could it be as long as Wednesday?

2. savannahm0m

savannahm0m Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Savannah
    My friend and I received a Meyer order last week. It shipped on Tuesday and it arrived at the Post Office Wednesday morning. We thought the Post Office would call us, but instead it was delivered to her house. Fortunately, the postman heard the peeping and made that the first delivery. We live in Georgia, so it got there really quickly!

Definitely contact your Post Office to make sure they know it is on the way and it requires special care!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. DomesticDiva12

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I called them this afternoon as soon as I got the shipping notice and told him it should be tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow, it is really cold for this time of year this week (of course! I ordered in November not expecting the winter we've had!). The person I talked to on the phone said he is in at 6am tomorrow so he will call as soon as he gets them.

4. DomesticDiva12

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Got the call at 6:10am this morning! Went to the post office and opened the box to one chick laying on her side but the rest chirping and active! Got home and put the 14 live chicks in the brooder...went to take the 'dead' chick out of the shipping box and felt movement! I've been nursing her all morning, getting her to drink, holding her in my hands to keep her warm and gave her some scrambled eggs to eat and she is up and walking around the brooder eating/drinking with the rest of the chicks now! Hopefully she makes it as she is my only maran but she seems feisty enough now. Amazing what a difference, I was sure she was dead. Our windchills were -25 this morning so to have all of them alive is amazing as well. I didn't ask on the phone about them but I worried the entire drive to the post office, when I walked in and heard chirping it was such a relief!

5. savannahm0m

Feb 5, 2014
    Savannah
    It's amazing how resilient they are! I'm so glad your Maran is doing well. You will have to post some pictures! We ended up losing one of our meat birds less than 48 hours so Meyers will give us that credit on a future order. We have a lot of different birds in our flock, but two of my favorites are my Blue Copper Marans. They did not come from Meyers but they are a really cool bird. Here she is at 6 weeks:
    [​IMG]

6. DomesticDiva12

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Cute! I am waiting until my kids get home from school to mess with them too much. Figure they can use a little break to relax and get used to their new home before the kids want to mess with them tonight ;) They are all adorable! We got 3 buff orpingtons, 2 easter eggers, 2 'blue' (one looks black to me) cochins, and then 1 cuckoo maran :D (I split an order with someone local, so the other 7 chicks are hers and are at her house now and she says they are all doing well!)

7. savannahm0m

Feb 5, 2014
    Savannah
    Hope you were able to distinguish between your breeds! My friend and I split our order last week, and now we are doing a "Great Chick Swap" today because I got her Easter Egger and she got my Speckled Sussex. They look so much alike! That was one we were not expecting to be hard to distinguish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by