How long after worming is it safe to let broody hen sit on eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LuckysMom, Jul 4, 2008.

1. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    I gave my flock Wazine on June 17th, after I discovered roundworms. I'm following the directions on the bottle which say to repeat the medicine in 30 days to break the roundworm cycle. So I want to make sure I wait a long enough time after the next treatment which will be July 17th. I do have a hen that is broody now, But I've been removing the eggs every day (she moves around and sits on the other's eggs). When do you think it's safe to leave the eggs under her? I've heard you can eat the eggs after 14 days. But I read about someone's awful experience incubating eggs after the hens had been treated with Wazine, and I don't want to accidentally do that to my chicks.

2. crazychickenchick

crazychickenchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    I have heard three weeks but im no expert. I wormed mine then put eggs that were laid three weeks later in incubator. They hatched fine.

3. crazychickenchick

crazychickenchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    Lucky's mum, just rang a friend of mine who has been breeding top show banties for years. She said that worming is not a problem. If you want to put eggs under her a week after worming that is fine. The wormer should not affect the eggs laid after worming.

4. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by