1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long are eggs edible if they were under a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by danamillette, Sep 12, 2011.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I was gone for about 4 days and some fertile eggs sat under a broody hen. (son was afraid to reach under her! [​IMG])
    Do you think these are still edible or would the chick have started developing?
    Thanks,
    Dana

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no pro but I would say they have already started developing. Have you tried candling them?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they're fertile they may have started to develop but they're still edible. Just don't tell the FDA or CDC.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The ones that have been in there over a day will have started developing. I personally would not eat them. They would be great for feeding back to the flock though if you are not going to hatch them, just boil them and break them up.

I'll probably gross some people out, but they are still edible, even if they have started to develop. In some cultures, partially developed eggs are considered a delicacy. Google Balut if you dare. Just because they are developing does not mean they are dangerous. If they had bacteria in them, the chick would not develop. But, no, I do not eat those.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto and [​IMG] on balut. (I know what it is)

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't think I would eat them either but I have plenty of eggs.
    If I was very hungry? I'd say "serve 'em up!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by