How long are eggs fresh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimbwired, Nov 15, 2007.

1. kimbwired

kimbwired New Egg

Nov 15, 2007
    I've been searching the internet in general for an answer as to how long the eggs my chickens lay will be safe to eat, most info I found was in regards to store bought eggs.

Can someone tell me how long the eggs will be safe to eat (without having to do a water test to see if they float or sink!!)? We collect daily and store in the fridge.

Thanks in advance! Kim

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Storey's Guide to Chickens states that homegrown eggs will store in the fridge for 5 weeks in egg cartons.

Dawn

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Home-grown eggs collected often and placed in the fridge will keep for months. The eggs older than a couple months will have runny egg whites, however they are still safe to eat.

bigzio

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I leave my fresh eggs out - at room temp for a week or two. I find they taste so much better fresh without having been refrigerated. If we don't eat them within a week or give them away, I refrigerate them. I find that refrigeration takes away from the fresh taste a bit in almost everything - I leave fresh fruits and vegetables out also and never refrigerate fresh tomatoes or they end up tasting like store bought. I also know that the "old timers" didn't refrigerate their eggs. So far we're all as healthy as can be.

5. gretchen

gretchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    I agree, with the counter top eggs that is. We keep ours out on the counter for a week and then I would put them in the fridge but they never last that long.... If you bake a lot you are supposed to use room temp eggs, so now I don't "temper" my eggs, they already are room temp. I should say that I don't wash them, I believe the bloom on them before washing keeps them from getting bacteria. If I collect a "dirty" egg I usually try to use it right away or I wash it and put it in the fridge.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    here is a link to how long you can keep fresh, unwashed eggs without refrigerating them. Be sure to read seachick's answer on this link. I have since gotten over my "skittishness" of storing them outside the fridge. [​IMG] I hardly ever put any in the fridge now. The eggs taste wonderful. Extras are given/sold away. everyone loves them.

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Yeah, I should have added that I don't wash them either. They have a protective coating and are totally free range and natural.

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:I forgot, too, I don't wash them either ..if they are especially dirty then I wash just before I use them.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Hey, you've got me curious as to what SeaChick said - where's that link?

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by