1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long are eggs good for?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Funsizeracing, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Funsizeracing

Funsizeracing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    I went out of town on Saturday and returned Monday afternoon. Temps were between 40 and 75. Do you think the eggs are ok to eat still?
    Thanks for your time.

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    They are only a couple days old right? If so then yes they are still good to eat. In other countries they don't even refrigerate eggs and they are still good. If you are ever not sure you can float test the eggs. If the egg sinks, it is good. If it kinda half floats it is still good but you should eat it soon. If the egg floats, you probably don't want to eat it because it is pretty old.

3. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Allegan, MI
    Yes. Ours remain on our counter at 70-75° until eaten. Will easily last months if not washed. (Not that we could keep them around that long)

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might want to hunt up the research project that Mother Earth News did on this a few years ago.

5. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    We used to get free double yolk eggs from the local commercial egg farm. They were too big to go in cartons so they were culls. When I got them, they were unwashed. I'd leave them on the counter until used and never had a spoiled one. Eggs last a long time if you don't wash them.

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:This study says that unwashed homestead eggs can last 7 months with only runny whites.

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Do eggs last longer(unwashed) if refrigerated or left out on the counter?

8. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:In the fridge.. That was supposed to be in the previous post, but I forgot it... [​IMG]

9. GreenEarth

GreenEarth Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Seven months! Holy cannoli!!
    Quote:This study says that unwashed homestead eggs can last 7 months with only runny whites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by