1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long are eggs good for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by connie001, Aug 22, 2011.

1. connie001

connie001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Superior WI
    If eggs are gathered immediately and then refrigerated, how long can you keep them to eat?

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone will come along and answer!

3. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I've heard store bought eggs can be 3 months old.

4. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
    The simple answer - a month.

If you're up for a little light reading, the link from mother earth news (yes, it's a little old, but the science is still valid!) is pretty good.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

If you wash the "bloom" off the eggs, they should be kept refrigerated. Generally, you don't need to wash eggs until you are ready to use them (and it's not a requirement). Washing the "bloom" off is removing the protective coating the hen puts on each egg!

Properly cooking eggs (as with all foods) kills most things that can make you sick.

Edited to add:

Google "washing the bloom off of eggs" and there is a lot of reading available.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by