How long are eggs good for?

Jon J

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I have (4) Rhode Island red hens and (1) bantam hen. They are laying several eggs per day. I have a fenced in large yard and let them roam. Their nests are sometimes HARD to find. I'd like to know how long the eggs will stay viable (edible) if the eggs are on the nests for several days? Our weather here lately, has been in around 71 this week, low 60's at night or in the 40's or 50 degree range or lower. Weird weather and I'm wondering if based on weather temps, how a free range egg is effected? I've found a few nests with as many as 17 eggs in the nest & I throw those eggs away. I know where their two nests are now & can collect them daily. Do I need to refrigerate asap or not. Thanks.

Note: I joined here a few yrs ago & had some white hens that drove me crazy & never got any eggs. I gave them away & last summer bought some chicks at Tractor Supply. Their tame and follow me around the yard & let me pet them. Cool vs the last monsters I had!

Another question:

My reds like to make a lot of loud clucking noises about 30 mins before they lay eggs & after laid, will make more noise! Its like they're announcing to the world, "I'm going to lay a egg now!" & afterwards, "Hey everybody, I've laid a egg-come and check it out!"

I wonder if egg laying is painful or what would cause them to make all that noise? Thanks.

My babies:

What nice hens you have! You know, I have never thrown out an egg, but I always crack them in a bowl first, before I use them in a recipe, just in case they're no good.

When it's summer time, I try and collect them daily, but I don't have the same situation as you, with the hidden nests......It gets super hot in Ohio in the summer and terribly humid.....I might worry about the heat making the eggs rotten.....

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread and see what other folks are saying.

Gee, sorry I'm not of more help,

Sharon

I am new to the chicken world, and was actually about to put up the same thread. Will be watching. I am paranoid about expiration dates.

Another question on same topic...If you pick up an egg and place in fridge...how long is it good for?

A rough rule of thumb is eggs are OK for about 6 weeks unrefrigerated, 6 months refrigerated. Although I can't imagine using eggs that are that old.

whether or not to refrigerate is your choice.

Here's a fresh egg test:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/testingeggs.htm

Imp

ETA- I don't hatch or have a roo, so I'm not sure about heat and fertilized eggs.

Last edited:
IMP, Thanks for the link. I figured there was a long shelf life but was unsure.

Any ideas on why the hen clucks so loudly before and after laying an egg?

IMP, Thanks for the link. I figured there was a long shelf life but was unsure.

Any ideas on why the hen clucks so loudly before and after laying an egg?

You are welcome.

I have no idea about the egg song. It has been suggested that before chickens were domesticated, they sang the egg song to alert the flock to their location. I am not so sure, wondering if that would also alert predators. But I know that as loud as it is, it does not carry well or far, so I guess it is possible.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom