1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long are eggs viable for incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mondotomhead, Dec 23, 2011.

1. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    My chicken is laying 1 egg a day. I want to try incubating them. How long do I have before the egg is past being able to hatch? I have 5 eggs now and the oldest is 5 days. I was planning to buy an incubator tomorrow and give it a try!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Conventional wisdom is 7 days if properly stored. Use the learning center of this website as it has good information regarding this subject.

3. mondotomhead

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    Oh, Thanks! I didn't see The Learning Center up there.

Another question? What is "properly stored"?

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I get eggs daily from my hens, I leave them sit in an Egg Carton FAT end up, for no more than 7 days, at room temperature. You should be good to go after that. But if I want to incubate right away, I wait at least 24 hours before incubating. Good Luck.

5. mondotomhead

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    Thanks so much, you guys, for answering.

I am curious about what kind of chicks I would get with a plymouth barred rock mother and a polish father!

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

What I typically call a "mutt" lol!

Don't worry, mutts lay eggs. I have hatched close to 100 chicks and couldn't even tell you what the cross is.

Next year I am going to get some Rhode Island Reds eggs (RIR) and raise them exclusively.... well besides my 100 Freedom Rangers (Meat Chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by