1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long are fertile eggs viable?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuackerJackFarms, Oct 4, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok, 2 Mallard females. 1 drake. Both mallards are laying. (I just figured this out a few days ago.) They hid the eggs from me! So I moved all the eggs to their duck house in a nice little nest. If I were a duck I would totally like the set up. I did this last night.
    This morning I notice, both ducks are laying in the nest. And one of them (or both) are covering the nest up with the shavings. I can tell the eggs have been moved around too.

So tell me, I know it's late in the season, but what are the chances one of these ducks will start to set? Also, are their any "signs" that I can look for. And the last question: At what point should I remove the eggs for the incubator? How long are they viable?

By my calculations... These eggs are about 10 to 11 days old. there are 20 to 22 eggs on the nest. (Remember they are both laying in the same nest.)

Thanks in advance!

PS: Eggs are fertile. I did the bulls eye test. (That's what I'm calling it.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    For best results eggs should start the incubation process in the first 7 days of being laid. After that the viability starts to decrease.

3. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I was afraid of that. Most of these eggs would be under that. There would be about 8 that would be 2 over. (According to my calculations.) How long do you think I should give the duck to decide to be a mommy?

4. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm kinda surprised they not sitting since there's a lot of eggs. If you were gonna incubate the eggs, then do so ASAP dont waste any more time theres still a chance they will hatch. Also if the weather had been hot or the hen had sat on them or is sitting on them that could be good too. I would incubate still... lol Good luck, ~Julie~

5. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    by the 4th day thats when they the fertileness (made up word) starts getting less...

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Are you sure of that factoid? most breeders only start a cluch every 7 days. The storage temperature xan have a big impact.

7. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:Are you sure of that factoid? most breeders only start a cluch every 7 days. The storage temperature xan have a big impact.

thats what i was told anyway and i read it in a book. yes the storage temp can have a big impact. usually 27 to 31 degrees celcius, thats what it was done at.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure about how old they are. When I found this bunch of eggs (she had been laying in a VERY concealed area) I removed them. From where they had laid them a raccoon or fox could have EASILY reached a hand in to get them. That's when I counted them and found there were 18. At that time I removed the eggs and the next morning I had 2 more eggs. I have 2 ducks, so I can conclude that both hens are laying. 18 divided by two is 9 days of eggs. Assuming they both started laying at the same time. Then I put the eggs back into a nest INSIDE their house and they have been laying there for the past two days. Then they cover them up. I'm going to assume they are not going to start setting, so I'm pulling out Grandpa's old incubator! I'm so excited! I hope everything still works right on it!

(Grandpa is lookin' down right now and sayin' "YES! You hatch those eggs girl!!)

I miss him. [​IMG] He would have been so excited my ducks were laying. We lost him about 6 months ago.

Anyway, wish me luck! And don't ask me what I'm going to do with all those ducklings.... we'll figure that out later!

I still welcome comments of any kind! Thanks for the above posts.

9. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    One more thing. Temps here have been upper 50's at night, 80's in the day. (We consider that a cool spell in these parts.) [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have incubated properly stored eggs that were as old as 3 weeks with excellent hatchability. In many breeds it will take more than two weeks to lay a clutch of eggs and then start the incubation process - in such natural incubation hatchability generally approaches 100 %. If 4 days were the 'cut off' point on fertility such things could not occur.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by