How long are they good

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jackhorn01, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    How long are eggs good outside the fridge once they are laid?

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would collect them daily and then put them in the fridge. My rule of thumb is up to 3 days in the nest is ok but longer is questionable. If eggs have not be collected or stored in a fridge for over 3 days then I would toss. Some will say.... do the float test. Some will say a week in the nest is ok. 3 days is what we go by. Refridgerated.... eggs will last a really long time.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Are you asking for eating or for hatching?

For eating, I never refrigerate and leave my eggs out on the counter for a month or more without problems. As long as you do not wash them they are fine on the counter. If they are washed or become wet the bloom is ruined and you need to frig.

I highly recommend the mother earth news article linked about. Great info.

4. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Just for eating. I am good about rinsing and putting in fridge each day. I just have some I forgot about hidden on the counter. Thanks all for responding.

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    If you rinsed them, especially in cool water, you've washed the bloom off them.

6. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you are going to rinse I would dry clean first and then only use lukewarm water. If you are just rinsing them with cold water all you are doing is ruining the bloom and cold water can actually pull bacteria into the porous shell. Cold water will not kill or get rid of any bacteria. I would really wash them or not wash at all, then put them in the frig.

http://www.greendivamom.com/2009/10/20/how-to-clean-fresh-chicken-eggs/

7. ShellyTurtle

ShellyTurtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Mesa, Arizona.
    So... you aren't supposed to rinse? Drats.

8. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Not with cold water. Rinsing with cold water does not clean anything or eliminate any bacteria. This is true of rinsing anything with cold water.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I knew about the cold water thing. You are always supposed to use water that is warmer than the egg. Also, I always rinse them as little as possible. The relatively clean ones I just kinda pass under the warm water then back out, the only ones I really clean are the ones that may get some dirt or red spots, or dry poop on them for the one or two hens that are defiant and refuse to use a nest box lol. For those I get them wet under the warm water and then use a green dish sponge just enough to get the stuff off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by