1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How long are they ok in the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have 9 royal palm turkey eggs that are due to hatch this sat. But the problem
    Is that I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas. I'll be coming home late Monday. Will the nine babies be ok in the bator from sat to mon?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    With chicks it's about 72 hours I would think its the same for turkeys. As long as the temps stable they should be ok, Can any one check on them for you?
    If it helps I could take your place on the cruise [​IMG] lol

3. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Ok great. Somebody told me chicks could go 24 to 48 but I never would have guessed 72 without food or water. My aunt will have a key and I'm trying to talk her in the watching em but she said she ain't messing with em.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    It's usually 48 hours, I don't think 72 is correct.

You should probably set up your brooder before you go, and see if there's a neighbor or someone nearby willing to simply move the chicks from the incubator to the brooder and check on the incubator once a day. The biggest problem with leaving around hatch time is that sometimes chicks will hatch early and sometimes chicks will hatch late and if you're not there, the early chicks can be sitting in there for days- and if one happens to expire, it's in there rotting in perfect bacteria-growth temps and humidity amongst the other chicks, upping the CO2 in the bator as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by