How long before a young hen lays normal size eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kitchenella, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    So far we have had 3 very lovely, but small, eggs from our young hen. How long before she will start laying normal sized eggs?

Peggy

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hello, and welcome!

I think it really depends on the breed. I've got some Jersey Black Giant crosses that took a few weeks to lay larger eggs; I have an EE pullet that's been laying for about 6 weeks and hers are still "small" size. but, they all taste wonderful!

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I never got "mini" eggs. BUT, my hen was months late laying due to an injury.

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

This really depend on the chicken, age and breed. I have had hens that started right out with normal sized eggs. The size really depends on how ready the chicken is ready to lay.

5. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    my hens started laying the second week of Sept. I'm just now starting to notice that the eggs are getting a little bigger.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Funny you should ask this today. My first hen to lay has been doing so for approx. 9 weeks. The egg I got from her today was without a doubt a large egg. The others are slowing working up to large.

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mine started laying late June and I'm still getting a few smaller eggs and others are reg. size.

8. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Mine were mini for about 2 weeks... most of them are still - after a few months not caught up to the larger eggs o my leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by