how long before an egg is not good anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DragonfyrNJ, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DragonfyrNJ

DragonfyrNJ Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    FAR South NJ
    found another nest....she had 12 eggs in it.....they might not all be hers but seriously....do eggs need to be refrigerated right away to stay good? how long before I should just toss them?

2. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Eggs can sit out on the counter for several days. I do not know how long outside though. It will depend how hot it has been and if a hen has been sitting on the eggs. I would not eat them but that is just me.

3. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    fill a bowl with tap water with 5 or so inches deep. Place an egg in the bowl. If it floats, toss it - bacteria have developed in the egg and it is bad. If it sinks, you are fine and they can be eaten with no worries.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Do you have a rooster? I'd be more concerned of them being fertile and developing than if they are good or not. If they aren't fertilized eggs (ie no roo), then float them in some water. If they float, they're bad, if they sink, they're good [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would also always break the eggs individually into bowls and smell them before use.
    Occasionally a porous bad egg will have taken in water and will still sink when given the 'water test' even when rotten,

Sandie

6. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    If you feel uncomfortable about it, you can always cook scrambled eggs and give them to your ladies. They will love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by