1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before blending two 6 week olds with new flock??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by annrich, Jun 21, 2007.

1. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Hi there, I have a mixed flock birds. In my main coop is 6 RIR (19 weeks)pullets, and good size already. lol
    My hen batnam is 1 year and her babies( 18 weeks) pullet and a roo

(don't want to leave out my 2 bad silkie roo's in there own little "I have been a bad boy time out coop")

Well my daughter 16 year old brought home two 6 week very hungry and not very well cared for "black giant " is the breed the guy said. I was not ready for younger babies. I only buy 9 weeks or older. I had to think of something soooooo In my barn I had an old big parrot cage. I put wood on top of the wire bottom and shavings gave them a little roost and set it inside the coop. I turned the light on so they would be warm, and so my flock wouldn't kick there butt. I moved that cage into the run today. My flock is checking them out. and my little roo seems to be baysitting. How long should I keep up this routine?

Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Ann

Oh the babys are little girls.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. annrich

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    anybody???

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Well, there is a big difference between 6 weeks and almost 5 months. You can't really safely put them together until they are close to the same size. If you can, the best thing to do would be to use wire and divide off the coop and run so as the babies grow all the birds will become familiar with each other. Then, when the youngest ones are almost as big as the older ones, just open a door between the two and let them run together. hth.

4. annrich

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by