How long before eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Picco, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I recently lost my flock rooster to a fox or some other predator. I will be adding a new one to the flock this weekend. How long will it be before the eggs are fertile?

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I think it is around 6 weeks.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Depends on when you lost the other rooster. I usually wait 3 or 4 weeks to make sure the new roo is doing his job and can call the eggs his .

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    How long has it been since you lost your other roo? They could still be fertile from him. They may never be infertile, you just might not know who the daddy is.

5. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I'm not sure how long ago I lost him. I was away on a long trip and he was gone when I came back. My father who was taking care of my birds didn't realize he was gone but said he remembers him being around a week or so ago. I have located a replacement and will put him with the girls Saturday. I only have four hens of his breed in my flock so I will put them in confinement with the new roo. Their eggs may still be fertile, but if it has been too long, how long do you think it will be before I get fertile eggs. If they mate as soon as he arrives will the eggs be fertile right away?

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    until the new one gets used to the group. just depends.

7. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I had a hen who had been without a rooster for a month. I put her with a rooster and startyed checking her eggs daily. I think they showed up fertile on the third day.

8. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Thank you!!!

9. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    Am I an egghead (ha ha) or wot? JenJScott how on earth do you tell a fertile from an infertile egg without going through the incubator/candeling process first? Is there some fabulous trick I missed out on?

10. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by