How long before eggs under broody hen are too late to pull for my incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cchardwick, Sep 29, 2012.

1. cchardwick

cchardwick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I've been collecting eggs every other day and I have a broody hen that sits on the eggs every once in awhile, she drives me crazy. I'm wondering if she sits on the eggs for a day and a half if it's too late to pull them and save them for my incubator. I'm trying to save up enough storing them in the basement until I have enough to fill up my incubator, but I'm afraid that if I pull the ones from under the broody hen that they may have started developing and that sitting at room temp for a few days may kill them. Is that right? Should I be worried about this? Or can I steal her eggs and keep them at room temp, then set them in my incubator a few days later?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. Cool Peeps

Cool Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    I think that the eggs might get rotten and not hatch i'm not to sure though[​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It depends on the temperature. I've had a on again, off again broody sit and not sit on a nest full of eggs. They actually hatched! They took forever though, the last one took about 6 weeks from when she started and most of the chicks didn't make it. The air temperature (it was a hot summer) and the hen sitting at night was enough. Would not repeat that though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by