how long before food in crop is digested

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bokboklady, Nov 3, 2010.

1. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    hi everyone, one of my hens still had a full crop this morning, it felt quite hard, shouldnt she have digested everything over night ?, she's still eating ok today , they have plenty of grit and oyster shell, she dosnt look in distress, but it had me a little worried:th

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Did you get to her FIRST thing in the morning, before she had access to ANY food ('cause they can put away a lot really early). If you answer yes, then I'd be concerned myself, as my girls always "empty out" overnight...lots of poop on the dropping boards and fairly flat crops. Many swear by giving them a few drops of olive oil and gently massaging the crop area to help break apart the build up in there. If she is impacted, it must not be totally at this point, since she's still eating. So I'd think you doing that would work fairly easily. [​IMG]

3. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    no i didnt see her first thing, but there is always their pellets available in the coop, so perhaps she had eaten some, i have been gentley massaging her crop to try and move it on, thanks for input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by