1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before I can collect "pure" eggs when I seperate my roo/hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have a pair I want to get eggs from and I seperated them about 10 days ago. They were in with another rooster that I didn't want to breed. These guys I seperated are Lav/splits and the other roo was a Blue. How long does it take before these eggs will be just the Lav split cockerels? I only want those eggs. I tried to search on here but I didn't find anything, maybe I'm not using the right keywords? Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's a common question but sometimes the Search feature can be a bit tricky. I appreciate you trying Search but never be afraid to ask. Questions and new threads keep this site active and I assure you someone else will learn something from your thread.

There is not an absolute answer to your question. Most times the eggs will be fertile about 2 weeks after a mating, sometimes less and sometimes more. Many breeders wait three weeks and figure that is good to go. There have been a few reports of fertile eggs as much as 3-1/2 weeks after the rooster and hen were separated. So, with three weeks you are pretty sure but if you wait four weeks, you are almost absolutely for sure certain.

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Great! Thanks so much. I know I've seen it on here before but couldn't find it again. Wasn't sure exactly how to put it either lol. Thanks [​IMG]

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I go four weeks just to be on the absolute side of possibility! Best of luck! Nancy

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I allow four weeks too.

6. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    1 more question... The 2 I just seperated are Black/Lav split Silkies. The only other roo of age that was in there with them before was the Blue Silkie. IF I would hatch out some chicks for somebody right now (well incubate now) would I be able to know the 100% Lavs (if I get any) from the Blues at hatch? Most of the Blues I've hatched out before were always dark in color, but if it is the Blue Roo/Lav split Hen combo would they come out like a regular Blue for me to tell the difference from the 100% Lav? I'm just interested in keeping the Lavs at this point and not worried about a few splits if I get rid of them. Then after 4 weeks I'll know for sure that they are either splits or Lavs. Does this make sense or did I confuse everyone lol? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by