How long before I can process bantam sized cockerels?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chickenaddict, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have recently become aware of the fact the swaps in our area have been shut down by the health dept. SO no more selling birds at swaps and here I am with several bantam cockerels, some seramas which I obviously can't eat but some are cochin crosses. How old would you say they need to be before we can process them seeing as we can no longer sell them I figure I am gonna go for the gusto and eat them. Right now they range in ages from 6-8 weeks old. I have never processed a bird before but have been trying to learn more about it and psych myself up for it as well. My DH used to help his grandfather on his farm when he was a kid so he knows how to kill them. He will do that part and the gutting and I will be finishing up the rest.

How old do they need to be to make it worth processing them?

How long do you suggest letting the meat rest before freezing?

TIA for the advice [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I like to process my cockerels (does not matter if bantam or larger fowl) at about 20 weeks. Sometimes sooner if they are a real PITA. I have processed RIR, Cochin, Brahma mutts, silkie mutts and Rosecombs - all bantam breeds. I would even process your extra seramas - not much meat, but if you have three or four and combine the meat you have a meal, or chicken for salad. Not much on a quail, yet people love to eat them. [​IMG]

I let my fowl rest in the fridge for 3 or 4 days, then pat dry and freeze.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thank you for the info horsefeatherz NV Very helpful and glad to hear others process bantams too. There is just 2 of us in the house so we don't need much meat, I was thinking it would be no different then eating a cornish game hen? If I planned on eating them soon would I still leave them in the fridge for 3-4 days or would just overnight work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by