How long before it will be steay on its feet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Jul 3, 2010.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I hatched out a chick in the incubator about 35 hours ago and it still is falling over is that normal?How long will it be before it can walk without falling over?

2. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Did the chick hatch on its own? Did it require any help?

Is it falling over things in the incubator (like other eggs, egg shells, thermometer, hygrometer)?

3. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    No help it hatched on its own

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Be patient - I had to help one of my chicks hatch as had humidity trouble. It never moved at all for 12 hrs. The only reason I knew it was alive was because its tummy moved when it breathed. It was very unsteady for a number of days after and would just fall over face first into anything including the water bowl. Well now we are at age 3 weeks and everything seems fine and he /she hollers the place down when it gets eye drops ( It got an infection from falling into its food!) It is lovely and strong and running about like mad with another chick in the brood box. They are near all feathered up now and would be outside more if not for the eye problem. We thought this one would die but it’s stronger than some of the others outside who are a week older. You never know – don’t give up on it let it rest and it may find its feet given time!

Oesdog. [​IMG]

5. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thanks it is doing a lot better tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by