How long before my roo forgets his ladies?

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
I have two RIR roos that grew up together and get along for the most part. I am to the point where i only want the stronger, more beautiful Roo (Prince) to mate with the ladies. So I moved Kyle (the weaker, uglier Roo) over to my rooster flock almost 3 acres away. I want to keep his as pet, he is so sweet and funny.

I kept him penned with the boys for almost a week. I finally let him loose to free range with the other fellows. And right away he started a journey to get back to his ladies. The first night i found him outside the coop with one of his ladies (Prince wouldnt let him in the coop).

Then I moved him back to the boys yard and penned him up for almost another week. Again, i let him loose to free range, and he went strait back to his ladies 3 acres away. This time, I had their run locked and I couldnt find him. I called for him and could hear him yelling back (he talks to me 😍), but I couldnt find him anywhere. Finally I looked inside the coop, and found his Houdini butt somehow managed to sneak in a locked run and hid in the rafter of the coop!! There was snow on the ground and I found no footprints indicating how he got in!

I dont want to give him away, but I cant have him wondering around all the time and breaking into Prince's coop. It will come at some point Prince will tear him up (expecially this spring). Right now, Kyle is locked in an old goat shed with some boys who are headed freezer camp to keep him company. But i dont want to keep him locked up all the time either.

So my question for you guys, have you ever had such a persistent rooster? And how long will I need to lock him up so he forgets about his ladies? Or atleast how to get back to them? Lol.

Is there a way to keep them penned up? It may be best to keep him penned because he’s not gonna stop going back to them.
Id have to keep him in the goat shed. I have a very small introduction tractor that is only used so that chickens can mert eachother safely. But i could keep him in the goat shed for awhile. But coming this spring we will need it for goats. I would need to probably build him a seperate run/coop. I am honestly hoping he will forget about the ladies at some point.
I am just amazed he finds his way back to them 3 acres away over land he has never been to before! Lol

Poor guy. He's clearly very clever and attached to his ladies. My old cockerel also missed his when I lost some to foxes but he adapted to a new flock quite fast. Till then he was depressed though so the only way to keep him happy would be to get him a new flock of a couple of ladies. Any ladies should do to make him forget the old ones.
I know that would require more space but he sounds like a great bird although I don't know how ugly ugly is lol.

Poor guy. He's clearly very clever and attached to his ladies. My old cockerel also missed his when I lost some to foxes but he adapted to a new flock quite fast. Till then he was depressed though so the only way to keep him happy would be to get him a new flock of a couple of ladies. Any ladies should do to make him forget the old ones.
I know that would require more space but he sounds like a great bird although I don't know how ugly ugly is lol.
Lmao! I could put his favorite lady with him in the tiny coop for awhile. Thats a good idea. She would keep him company and maybe forget about the others. Or worse case, they would both go wondering looking for the others lol. He isnt super ugly, just not nearly as handsome as Prince. He is also not so good with the ladies (doesnt dance just snatches them and jumps on, doesnt offer them treats, etc) and doesnt try to protect them, he runs and hides lol.

Luckly i dont think he is depressed, he is just always on a mission to get back to them. He even brought one of the smaller boys from the Rooster flock with him last time. And Prince would surely have killed/severly injured him.

Kyle is a bad influence lol

3 acres isn't so far that he can't hear them, and that was his flock, so I can't blame him for trying to get home. Might have to keep him penned up for as long as possible before letting him free range again (when you need the goat shed), and maybe by that point he'll be settled enough where he's at to stay put?

I would purchase him a few hens. They don't need to be very special, just enough to keep him occupied without over doing it with any one hen. He sounds like a fun Rooster, it would be worth a few hens to keep him happy and around the place. :celebrate

I think ill give him 1 or 2 of his ladies in the goat shed and maybe a few younger capons to keep him company. Ill have to watch tho because he is rough on the ladies. If he is getting too crazy, it will have to be him and the boys for the next three weeks until the goats come. Thanks for all the responses!!

Back
Top Bottom