How long before new rooster embryos have replaced ones from the old rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sea Wolf, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Taxachusetts
    An odd question that I can't find an answer to. Looking for an answer for another non PC/internet chicken lover. You have rooster A. You find a different rooster with better genes and qualities and replace the old one. How long before the hens are positively laying eggs fertilized from rooster B? Can't find the answer anywhere. I assume there is a time that has to pass before the fertilized eggs from rooster A have all been laid. Does anyone know? Thanks

2. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Fertility from a rooster declines gradually and, I have read, can last up to a month. Give it a bit longer to be sure.

aart likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Read my post in this thread, post #6. I'm not typing all that again this morning.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...roosters-gift-remain-viable-in-a-hen.1321585/

Eggs are not fertilized when the chickens mate. The sperm is stored in a special container near where the egg starts its internal journey through the hen's internal egg making factory. That sperm is available to fertilize the yolk when it starts its journey. It's not a matter of all the fertilized eggs being laid, it's a matter of the sperm in that container becoming so old it is no longer viable.

SueT likes this.
  5. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    :goodpost:thank you for this! I didn't really understand how that works, just that you have to wait after replacing roosters.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    SueT likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: