1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before planting an area that's had chickens ranging it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenInTheFog, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ChickenInTheFog

ChickenInTheFog New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Port Orchard, WA
    I was planning for a future rotational pasture system that includes veggie gardens, chicken pasture, cover crop, and rest period. If I mulched an area that's had chickens on it all summer with leaves and waited over winter, would that be long enough for the manure to decompose into the soil completely?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to know as well. I plan on a chicken garden, in the runs.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I have used the hen house bedding on my garden and as long as I stopped adding in the early fall it seemed to decompose nicely. I did till it in before shutting down for the winter. My ground was unworkable so I had no garden for one summer. I would clean out the coop and spread the poo and shavings on the garden area.
    I did it as an experiment since my ground is so very hard. It seems to have helped my soil a lot.

Leaves are an excellent additive for the soil. You can also plant a lot of peas and then till them in before planting your veggie garden. They make more nitrogen then they use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by