How long before Prep H tratment works? *PICS ADDED*

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
I have a ten day old Silkie chick with what looks like a partial prolapse. I put Prep H on last night and I think it helped a little so I put more on this morning. How many treatments does it usually take? I hope I don't have to give up on my little baby.

Last edited:
Its the top of her vent that is out. After two rounds of Prep H it is bulging. I'm hoping it will curl back in. I pushed a little but it didn't really do much.
sad.png
Poo cakes up on it and it sticks the vent closed. I'm cleaning it three times a day.

Last edited:
it is or isn't bulging? and use the prep. H for as long as you have too, the main thing is not to let it dry out because then the tissue will die. And glad you are taking care of the pasting too. You might want to try putting a little sand or chick grit in the bottom of the brooder so they can peck at it. That may help if she was a little constipated and when she pushed to go she pushed it out. Also someone said grinding regular oatmeal up and adding it too their chick starter helps with pasting.. Please let us know how it is..

Before it looked like the top of her vent was out, like a flap. Now it is more like a bulge, but it still hangs over the bottom of the vent. I'm such a newbie its hard to really explain. Haven't gotten a good pic yet, but Ill try again. I just want it to go back in and not trap poo!!
sad.png
thank you for letting me know about it drying out. I didn't really think of that!

Last edited:
Try to get a picture so we can see exactly how it looks. Do you think it is from being constipated? how long has she had it? also wondering if you can keep her from getting chilled that you could soak her little bottom in some warm epsom salt water, dry her good and then apply the prep h again, epsom is really good for swelling/ inflamation. Ihave to go out for awhile but i hope this post will draw others here to give you some info. I'll be back in a while to see what you have decided to do.. Wishing you the best with this little one.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Miss Lydia, thank you for your amazing support. It helps so much!
love.gif

I took a pic, I will crop it and upload it soon. the pic isn't great but I also have no clue what Im looking at!

It definitely seems better though!
big_smile.png
It looks more like a pucker than a flap or bulge hanging over now, if that makes any sense! I cleaned her up by dipping her bum in sugar water (I read that the sugar can help shrink it up without drying as much as Prep H. She always poos while Im cleaning her so I think the poop collects in there. The poop looks relatively normal. I let her sleep in a mirowaved towel till she was dry and put some bacitracin on the vent. I will probably try another round of Prep H tonight. I dont want to be optimistic but something is definitely happening! I will go upload the pic now...

Last edited:
OK, never in a million years would I think I would be taking pictures of a chickens butt and posting it for the whole world to look at!
lol.png

Here is her little bum. The top used to be completely flat (like a flap) and would hang down over the bottom. Now it seems to be like a swollen pucker? But I think it is starting to resemble a normal vent, kinda? I noticed it on day 4 when she started with pasty butt. I'm not sure if its from constipation, the poo doesnt look dry or anything. She has had grit in the brooder (and eating it) since she was 3 days old.

IMG_1585-1-1.jpg

What do you think?

And just for fun, here she is sleeping off her bath...

IMG_1583.jpg

To be honest it's hard to see anything. But if you are noticing a difference for the good. then keep up with what your doing. It's amazing what they can come through. And I had also heard that sugar water and also honey were good for prolaspes, so maybe with using the whole works she will be back to normal quick. With the pasting up which causes the poop to back up inside , that could have started this off, good thing you caught when you did. unless we are chicken experts and I am not, we may never know why this happend but hopefully she is on the mend now. Please keep us updated on how she is doing.
fl.gif
that is a precious picture..

Last edited:
Thank you SO much!! So you think it looks pretty normal as far as chick vents go? It looked nothing like this 12 hours ago! I have some hope!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom