How Long Before The Chickens Figure Out They Need To Go Into The Coop At Night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Awestruck, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    I have heard that chickens know when it is bedtime, and they automatically go into their coop at night. We live next door to a house where there are a lot of chickens, geese, turkeys, and peacocks, and they animals find their places when it gets dark (its really cool to see a peacock in the tree!). I waited tonight and had my girls in the run, with the door to the coop open. Nothing happened even when it was beginning to get dark. They stayed huddled under the coop. I let them out and picked them up one by one and placed them in the coop with the other door shut. How long will it be before they figure out that it is nighttime and they need to go inside the coop, on their own?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    How old/young are they?
    How long have they been outside in the coop?

3. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    The ones I have in the coop/run are about 6-7 weeks old. I have had them out there for about a week and a half now.

4. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    My concern is that they will not go into the coop on their own, and we will have to be gone for a week in a couple of months. I am planning on having a friend house sit for us. I don't want her to have to bother with trying to get the chickens into the coop, especially since she probably does not have any experience with handling chickens.
    I am also just wondering if it is safe to just leave them in the run (which is covered) without having to bother putting them in the coop should they not want to enter in at night. I could leave the door to the coop open in case they change their minds. Just concerned about the safety factor. Don't want raccoons chewing up the wood around the run (someone I know gave up on having chickens because their coops ended up being chewed up by the raccoons).

5. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    racoons can and will chew to get them.
    Other predators can dig under and into the run and/or coop too.

Chicken wire will NOT keep predators out.

Could you possible post a few pictures of your set up?
    More advice can be giving after seeing what you are working with....

6. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    In a couple of months they SHOULD have figured out how to get back into their coop to roost for the night.
    For sure...

7. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    That is what I am hoping. Seems a little better now. I had the door to the run open, and I started picking them up to put them away. Some of them went into the run. They were around the coop but the coop is too high for them to jump in. I left the other door open from the run, but they still haven't figured out that they can go in there in the evening. On a good note, they don't fight me so much when I put them in there now. But they are still hard to catch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by