1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before the hen stops setting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joebryant, Aug 29, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I have an inexperienced silkie that had no idea about what she was supposed to do to hatch eight eggs, e.g., setting on them instead of her hard balls of poo. Inexplicably, three days ago one egg hatched in spite of her. I had to show the baby how to drink; while it was at the waterer, she got off the eggs and taught it how to eat its food.
    I put it in front of the waterer again today, and it acted like it hadn't had a drink since yesterday morning when I helped, i.e., it's doubtful that she's caring for the single baby and ONLY setting the unhatched eggs. Do hens with late hatchers normally set and teach early hatchers to eat and drink.
    How long before she'll give up and forget about the unhatched eggs?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Usually after the first starts to hatch, she'll sit on the newborn and the eggs for another day or two. Then get up. But after the second day, she doesn't get up... she might just not be meant to be a mommy.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You mean that I might have to brood ONE chick?
    [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep... it sure can be a pain if nobody is there to keep the chick company all day. I had to do that a few times, but when I was away, the lone chicks sat cheeping in a box standing on a k'nex platform watching my mom do things in the kitchen all day. Luckily, they got chicken friends within a week or so so that didn't have to go on forever. Good luck on the other 7 hopefuls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by