How long before these girls lay??

imogene08

Chirping
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Florida
]]I have 4 pullets that I'm a patiently waiting for their first egg any ideas when it will come??
1.) this is kimzy are barred rock she's about 4 months old
2.)this is Gussy are black star she's about 3 1/2 months
3.)this is Bailey are Buff orph I am unknown about her age
4.)this is Smokey are Aracuna mix unknown about her age as well

Last edited:
Although no one is able to pic the date these pullets will lay, it does appear that you are still a ways off. By averages your black star and the barred rock should be your first layers. I would expect another month or possible even longer. I have had 2 different barred rocks begin laying at 19 weeks.. Currently I have 2 barred rocks that are 17 weeks old that look very similar to your BR's photo. I anticipate another 6 weeks but who knows?

I would start looking every day for the first egg after 18 weeks old. They can lay sooner but for the most part you will find one after that time frame.

Wish ya the best.

I was thinking that to my black star is about the same size or even bigger them my little astrualorp who is laying nice brown eggs

It is not out of the realm of possibility that your pullets lay sooner.

Have they began to squat around you whenever you make any movements?
Are they curious about your nest boxes? Spending time inspecting them usually means they are only a few days away from beginning to lay.
Have their combs turned a deeper red than before?
All these are indicators. If you don't see these then they are not quite ready yet. But they will lay for sure.

Well my barred rocks crown and she investigates them then quickly runs off my star doesn't ever take intrest all she seems to be doing is getting fluffy

Back
Top Bottom