1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before they settle in?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Nov 7, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We brought our goats home yesterday and they did fairly well last night. Tonight they have been pretty quiet since it started to get dark, though I heard Bella (the Mom), "baaaing" for a few minutes just now. During the day today was another matter altogether. If we were out of their sight for more than 15mins, they would start to put up a huge fuss. Well really, Bella put up the fuss. We haven't heard a peep out of the little one, Fleur, since we put her in the yard. She just follows around her Mom and lets her make all the noise. So how long will it take before they settle in and quit bawling every time they are alone? I know they will want our company on a regular basis, but I need to know that we will be able to leave for a few hours at a time without them crying for all those hours. We are allowed to have goats, but I still don't want to annoy my neighbors enough to have them make a noise complaint about our goats. Thanks!

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I don't know much about the settle in will take but i think you forgot pics. what breed are they

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I know with mine when they first came home they missed their other herdmates and it took about a week for them to really settle in. I know my Nubian took longer than the Alpine. Goats are herd animals and will miss the goats they grew up with. Just be patient and it will pass.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] What Chaty said.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies! I know my neighbors on the south side are ticked about the goats, but they get ticked about us doing anything... I do hope it gets better. As much as those neighbors are a pain, I don't want to annoy them too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by