How long before you give up and throw them away

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Jun 26, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    We are on day 23. Just wondering how long do you wait before considering your eggs duds and throwing them out?

2. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    id give or take 1-2 days and i wouldnt wait more than 3.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

If my temps have been stable I'll give them til day 24.. then I float test

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Do you mean till day 24???

Quote:

5. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    hang in their i heard peeping about an hour ago (day 23 also) and all i can say is i am not going to give up till the 25 th day. i have heard some say that can happen and their might be things wrong with the chicks ,but i am beliving they will be fine. dont give up till their is no hope at all.
    wagons forward, egg oh hear we go!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    i mean i wouldnt wait past day 25. though ive heard( dont know if its true or not just heard it) that some chickens can take 28 days? most of mine take 21 days but ive had them take 23 and one take 24. if i wake up and nothing is going on by the morning on the 25th dayu i pitch them. weve candled them and the guy who ones the incubator i put my eggs in floats them but really there isnt a need if you even wanted to wait til the night of the 25th day and nothing happens nothing will... ive never had one take past 24 days to hatch and to be honest that one didnt make it. all my healthy chicks took between 21 and 23 days to hatch. good luck.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My chicks were due on Friday most hatched on Thursday with a few on Friday and some on Saturday. Nothing today so I candled and I saw no movement what so ever so tomorrow the eggs go. I have a new batch in my incubator. I did an eggectomy on one of the eggs and the chick had expired.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    At day 25 I would discard but first check for movement by candling or you can press the eggs against your ear to listen for pecking or other movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by